Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Winter's pleasant depths


Do you find that on today's internet you often read stuff that's of interest, but only a few days later you can't remember exactly where you read it? It's a case of "that was a thousand clicks ago, how can I remember that?".

Well, I'm pleading a case of thousand-click memory loss, but I was reading some Australian gardening content last week – not a well-informed blogger, it was some fool doing it for money – who was banging on about the grey, gloomy depths of winter, as if they were living in Europe or North America. I wandered outside into my admittedly chilly-ish garden and all I could see in the depths of winter here was lush greenery and a beautiful array of colours.

And so for this little posting I would like to celebrate the depths of winter here in Sydney, Australia. When the cold winds blow from the south you certainly need jumpers and jackets, and slow-cooked casseroles still taste fab once the sun has gone down, but out in the garden there's plenty of colour to enjoy.


Squadrons of bees are feasting on the lavender, their little black
legs glowing golden with collected pollen.


The bromeliads enjoyed the World Cup action in Rio, and wish
they were back home in South America, but Sydney is OK.

Even the bromeliads waiting their turn to
flower can at least wear nice variegated fashions.

My 'hedge' of chervil is at its peak. The flopped
over bits in the foreground are merely drunk on
the drink of fresh water I gave them a few
moments before I started snapping pix. They'll
sober up soon enough.

Kalanchoe 'Copper Spoons' is loving the cooler weather.
I'm trying to strike lots of babies of this lovely thing. No luck
yet, but it is a slow process, I believe.

And the Crassula 'Campfire' is well and truly ablaze.

The new mint growing in the 'spot from hell'
under the adjacent grevillea is loving its first
few months here, but it needs lots of water to
keep this backlit beauty happy.

A Christmas gift poinsettia pot which Pammy
is taking a special interest in is doing what it
does naturally in the cooler months: blush red.
And finally, this single tibouchina bloom doesn't
know it's winter. It's meant to flower in autumn,
so either it's early or it's late, but it's on its own, the 

only flower on the bush at the moment.
And so that's the depths of winter here right now. Yes, growth is slow, but everything is still steadily growing, and for some plants it's their most beautiful time of year.



11 comments:

Padaek said...

Awesome photos!! The copper spoons are looking great with that shade. :)

3D animation classes chennai said...

Your article is very nice.I really enjoyed this article..............

wholesale silver jewellery Thailand said...

I like to read your article. I really enjoyed ............

Name Change Tamilnadu Gazette said...

Useful tips you gave today. Thank you...........

Sue O said...

Your winter garden is much more colourful than mine. I always remember a statement I once read, that winter is the great equalizer in the the garden. It runs true in Oregon, for sure.
And I am with you on bloggers who do it for money. I am out of patience with them. I love that you and I don't!

Sue O said...

And I forgot to say, Death to Spammers!!!!

Rahul said...

Lovely Post. Such wonderful images. Thanks for sharing

Sejal said...

Article is very nice. Thanks for sharing

Kannu said...

Very Good article thanks for share

Memesera said...

Hello Readers! If you’re looking for the best Funny Memes For Facebook (Fb) DP, Whatsapp status then I must say you’re at the right place. Visit our website and get the Baisakhi funny images Wishes and Learn coronavirus precautions, and 5 April lighting Night in India.
Url- http://www.memesera.com/

Memesera said...

Profit and Reason Behind The 5th April 2020 And What some people predicted that was the reason behind this message lets see what people thinks about this.